Sunday 23 January 2011

Hard Work

I find birding the patch at this time of year hard work.- Once the initial flurry of year ticks is over in the first couple of weeks of January, it becomes harder until the first of the spring migrants turn up in March.

Until then, I'll keep slogging away. It won't be long before the first wheatears, chiffchaffs and sandwich terns arrive. Before them the Shelducks will be back in February.

I walked out to Low Chibburn Preceptory today, to see if anything of interest was roosting in it. It's an interesting place, having served various uses from hospital for pilgrims, a dower house and a World War II look out.

Artist's impression of how Low Chibburn may have appeared in the 1400s. Drawn by Terry Ball.



 This is how it looks today

There wasn't any birds there, but there were some fresh barn owl pellets. Walking back by the farm I added wren, song thrush, robin and reed bunting to the year list.

The sea was miles out but I did manage to add a solitary gannet to the list.

55 robin
56 song thrush
57 reed bunting
58 wren
59 jackdaw
60 gannet

1 comment:

Warren Baker said...

I'm in the same boat Ipin, wont see much more until the spring now :-)