Tuesday 8 January 2008

Its defo winter

I've been out'n'about with work this week, had some Irish and yorkshire folks on a visit. We went to Bamburgh yesterday, possibly the coldest I've been on the coast in years, it must have been -5 or -6 at least, they nearly froze to death! We went to Stag rocks to see the new panels, illustrated by John Steele - go check them out if you haven't seen them, they show the winter and summer wildlife of the Stag rocks, John has done a wonderful job! There was about 50 purple sands clinging to the rocks there too. Got a pub tick last night too - the Free Trade in Berwick, mid darts match with pots of steeming stovies - a proper spit'n'sawdust place, if there had of been music, it would have stopped when we walked in!

Today we were in Bamburgh again where it would seem even more blackies have arrived, there were at least 13 in the grove alone, with more in the hedges near Shoreston (no corn bunting though - mythical beast!). Then it started to rain (so we went to the ship at Newton for lunch)and didn't stop til dark, now its extremely windy, so much so, that I daren't look out into the garden for fear my greenhouse (the world's worst, with plastic panels) may be pinned against next-door's fence.

Off to Boulmer Birders patch tomorrow, so it would be nice to turn something up there and then Seahouses on Thursday and Saturday....busy week!

Oh...and I might revise my next patch-tick prediction to cattle egret, I can just picture one now, this saturday, wandering around behind one of the beast on the Budge fields - I hope I find it first....

4 comments:

Stewart said...

As long as you don't find it at Boulmer!!!!!

Ghost of Stringer said...

....or Newton !!

Warren Baker said...

Ipin,
Hope you don't mind I've put a link to your blog on my blog. Enjoy the birding ! Warren

Ipin said...

Hi Warren, great,more links the better, will check out your blog.